Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Catch that Morning Wave

It's morning, weee! Have you got your morning coffee? Well I've got my morning green tea. A strange quirk of my body that I have known about for so long: I am a morning person.

I cannot stay in bed very long. Even those reckless epic party night where one stays up until 4 in the morning, I still wake up not long after 8 with tired eyes but spinning brain. Take today. So yesterday I wrote about the 45 minute long shoveling ordeal that left me with sore arms and abs. But today despite my body and eyes resisting it, I am awake at 7 a.m. with a mind exploding with ideas. And the only thing to do about this mental alertness? Take advantage of it, of course.

It's the reason why I get up immediately and drink a green tea and have a working breakfast most days, even weekends. I need to catch this wave of energy before it dissipates. To focus it on the task at hand before 11 a.m. rolls around. 7 a.m. to 11 a.m., those are my golden hours.

From 11 a.m. until about 3 or 4 p.m., however, there sets in a period of relative brain-deadness. Some days are better than others with some being "just need a little pick-me-up" to others during which I am completely useless. As in, I nod off at my desk without noticing until I suddenly blink awake thinking, "did that just happen?"

And then come the hours of 4 p.m. to 9 p.m., during which I have another surge in energy. More of an unfocused restlessness, however. Time to institute an afternoon nap? It just seems like such a waste of time.

I'm not sure when I found this out about myself. Actually, no. I lie. It was undergrad. Maybe even a little in the latter days of high school. Remember those afternoon classes? Basically I fell asleep in every one, mostly because I am not a huge coffee fan. I'm sure I could have rectified the situation with a cup of coffee or ten. Hindsight, et cetera.


So that's what I'm up to at the moment. Catching that morning wave of energy. Wow! Is this day so boring I am writing about my biorhythms? Suppose so.

No comments:

Post a Comment